Like other team activities, FIRST LEGO League has basic ground rules. Failure to abide by these rules could result in ineligibility for awards at a tournament or other consequences deemed necessary by judges, referees, tournament organizers
- A team must have a minimum of two (2) and a maximum of ten (10) children. A team with more than ten (10) children will not be eligible for awards at an official tournament.
- No team member may be outside the maximum allowed age (9 to 16 Years) prior to January 1 of the year the Challenge theme is released.
- All teams must be officially registered and paid before the officially declared registration date to participate in the competition.
- Team members must make all decisions and do all the work on the Robot Game and Project. Coaches, Parents, Mentors should only teach new skills, handle logistics for the team, ask questions to get team members thinking, help them understand the rules etc.
- Teams should read through and abide by all the rules related to Robot Game, Project, Judging rubrics etc.
- Adults are strictly prohibited from directing team members or interfering with the judging process or robot rounds in any way
Awards Related Rules:
- Teams must participate in all elements of the competition including Robot Game, Research Project and judging sessions to be eligible for any Core Award
- With exception of Robot Performance Award, all other awards are determined by a deliberation process formulated by a panel of judges based on teams’ performance in each category
- If a team does not exhibit Core Values at a tournament, they may be disqualified from winning any awards – including Robot Performance, no matter how well they scored
- No team is allowed to win two awards, unless one of the awards is for Robot Performance. Robot Performance is the only category based solely on score.